Surgical instruments are some of the most sensitive equipment that are handled in the domain of medicines. It is extremely important to take excessive care of them as their composition as well as handling can have a direct impact on the patient on whom they are being used. If the Data of Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is to be trusted, about 48 million surgical procedures take place everywhere with a high tendency of the medical device coming in direct contact of the patent’s mucous membrane or sterile tissue. Under these circumstances, it becomes extremely important to ensure that the devices being used are safe to be used and do not invite any negative or reversed consequences.
The risk of pathogen transfer, and hence by extension, of infection transfer is quite high when the use of surgical instrument is involved. Needless to say, disinfection and sterilization are the most necessary steps to ensure basic hygiene, there are many other steps as well that are important to be ascertained to maintain and follow the prescribed standards of safety.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
There are multiple steps to be followed before which a surgical instrument can be securely used on a patient. Let us try to identify and understand those basic steps-
- Cleaning- Cleaning all the surgical instruments properly precedes all the steps. It efficiently removes the microorganisms settled on the surfaces. Cleaning primarily involves removing the germs and other harmful bacteria from the surface and the internal parts of the equipment in a superficial manner. This step can be easily accomplished by using distilled water (instead of saline water), chemicals as well as enzymatic products in the extreme cases. Before carrying out the complex steps such as sterilization and disinfection, it is preferable to do the basic cleaning as the omission of this step can interfere with the overall productivity and results of those processes. It is followed by enzyme treatment that ensures that all the blood proteins are effectively removed.
- Sterilization– It involves the use of certain physical and chemical methods so that any form of microbial life that might have accumulated on the surface of the equipment can be eliminated. It is the most elemental and basic of steps before any other method of cleaning the surgical instrument can be employed.
- Disinfection– This process is used after or sometimes as an alternative to sterilization. It describes a kind of process that aids in removing all the pathogenic microorganisms. Apart from most of the microbes, it is quite efficient in washing away all the bacterial spores from inanimate objects. It is important to note here that either sterilization or disinfection is carried out, on the basis of the property of the instrument.
- Chemical Sterilant– It is a step which is necessarily followed after sterilisation and disinfection. This can be used as an alternative to disinfection as well as it can also kill all the bacterial spores from the surface except the highly recalcitrant ones. The use of the chemical ensures that all the infectious and potentially harmfully bacteria are removed thoroughly from the surface.
- High level disinfectant– As the name suggests, this high-level disinfectant is highly effective when it comes to killing bacterial microbes that are generally resistant to most of the treatments. If the composition of the same is finely balanced under favourable circumstances, it can prove to be a very customer friendly step. On any equipment, a thin layer of microorganisms can get accumulated. If not removed timely, it can actually prove to be extremely fatal as these tiny microorganisms have the proclivity to negatively affect the chemical composition of the instruments.
- Low level disinfectant- It is supposed to prove extremely effective for killing all sorts of vegetative bacteria as well as non-lipid viruses and fungi. However, since it is a low-level disinfectant, it is not considered to be extremely helpful in the cases of Tubercle bacilli and bacterial pores. If the surgical instruments have to be taken care of for a very short duration of time, this technique of taking care can prove to be very useful as well as pocket friendly.
- Decontamination– Last, but definitely not the least one, decontamination is very crucial aspect when it comes to taking due care of the surgical instruments. If one goes by the prescribed guidelines by OSHA, the use of any physical or chemical method to destroy or remove the harmful pathogens from the surface of surgical instruments as well as medical devices is deemed appropriate, and even, desirable.
As is clear from the aforementioned steps, taking care of surgical instruments is of paramount importance. When it comes to investing your money, and more importantly your trust to procure the quality services at an affordable prize, you can get in touch with Ayka Medical without a second thought. Ayka Medical is experienced in this domain and works diligently to ensure customers’ safety as well satisfaction. You can get all kinds of surgical care kits from us and will definitely not regret your decision of availing our services.